Sunday, November 18, 2007

?

November 18, 2007

Okay, so it has come to my attention that a lot of people think that my obsession with Japan is just a phase.
Hell, the fact that I like Japan has, apparently, given some people actual REASON to hate me.
Could someone please tell me the logic in this?

So, to clear the air on certain viewpoints of mine, I'm going to address a few of the more "pressing" (i.e. obvious) reasons behind why certain people dislike my taste. And please, don't tell me something is wrong. Unless I claim it as fact, this is all opinion. Okay? Alright.

1. Japanese Music
There are a few reasons why I like Japanese music better than American music.
For one thing, there really is no "cover" scene.
A lot of today's artists are too *ahem* artistically drained to come up with their own music or lyrics. So, naturally, they take old one-hit-wonders and remix them to make them sound more modern, and with their voice.
I have yet to run across a cover of an earlier Japanese song.
Spare "Requiem" and "Dear...from XXX" But Miyavi was IN the band that performed them first, so, honestly, I think he's an exception (That law goes for any American singers that had done covers of songs from bands they were in)
Also, I like the feel I get from Japanese music. (Rock, not pop) If I were to ask you to listen to "Akuro no Oka" and then had you tell me what you thought the song was about, I bet you would hit it right on the nail. Most of the music that I listen to conveys whatever feeling and message they have through their voice alone. (You don't have to understand the language to know what the singer is trying to say.
It just helps -_^ )
That is rare among American artists. (And don't you dare argue that one.)

2. Fashion
Okay, this one is a given.
Japanese Street-Fashion is BEYOND creative. It entrances me, and captivates me.
It's amazing what these people come up with. It can range from cute to EXCRUCIATINGLY scary. Seriously.
The basic "style" of Japanese Street-fashion IS to have no "style"
So, when you look at me strangely when I walk down the street with clashing patterns, colors and insane hair....remember that I dare to be different.
American Fashion, however, has become VERY stereotyped.
Go to Hot Topic to find the dwindling Gothic clothing, or the ever-growing "scene" style clothing (Honestly, Scene is like a cheap rip-off of Street Fashion, but too afraid to be weird)
Go to A&F or Hollister for the "preppy" style.
Go to Walmart for the "gangsta" style (I'm not kidding, guys.)
Go to Spencers for the "skater" look. If coupled with Hot Topic, you can become "emo" or a toned-down version of "scene"
Am I getting my point across?
Us, as Americans, are lacking in creativity when it comes to fashion. Of course the stuff on the runway can get pretty insane, but who the heck is going to pay $1,000 for a paper-bag dress?

3. School/Education
Alright.
Here are a couple of stereotypes that we, sadly, fill out in at LEAST a quarter of our classes.
Enter a room full of American students.
What do you see?
That's right. You see kids slouching, paying NO attention to the teacher. Papers EVERYWHERE. Absolutely NO discipline. The teacher has given up on even -trying- to teach, and has retired to his corner to go to check his MYSPACE. The few kids that are attempting to LEARN something are frustrated beyond belief, and are searching relentlessly through their books for answers to questions, whilst the kids around them are screaming and disturbing the few classes that actually CARE.
Enter a room full of Japanese students (This is based on my 2 penpals, gomen if it isn't ALWAYS correct.)
What do you see?
You see kids doing work, studying whilst the teacher is giving a lecture.
You see at LEAST a couple of them taking notes, and a few are zoning out (oh well)
Most of the kids actually LOOK interested in what the teacher says, and are paying attention with at least 3/4 of their brain-function. They are QUIET. They are NOT GOOFING OFF. All of the classes have at least semi-attentive students taking notes or registering what the teacher is saying in a little file-cabinet in the back of their brains.

See how the Japanese actually CARE a little bit?
Hell, you stick an American-taught kid, and a Japanese-taught kid,
give them a difficult-ish question.
I wonder who answers correctly...FIRST.
Ding ding ding. Japanese.

4. I WAS BORN THERE
Of course I'm going to be at least SEMI interested in a place that I was BORN in.
Most of you have lived in Dallas/Irving/Copell/Kaufman/Terrell/[insert your town] for the vast majority of your life. IF NOT ALL OF IT.
If you were born in Dallas, and then moved to England when you were 5, wouldn't you be interested in American culture?
Of course you would!

Geez.

Okay, that was a lame argument.
But whatever.

U.U

No comments: